Blackley Cemetery update: Greater Manchester Says No to Hate
30 Jun 2014 by CST
This weekend saw positive developments following last week's shocking desecration of Blackley Jewish Cemetery in Manchester.
Around 45 gravestones had been pushed over or damaged during the desecration, which took place on the weekend of 22/23 June.
Greater Manchester Police have arrested two boys, both aged 13, on suspicion of committing a racially-aggravated public order offence in connection with the damage at the cemetery. We would like to thank the Police for the effort and resources they have committed to investigating the desecration. We are also grateful to those witnesses who have already come forward and we encourage anybody else who may have information relating to the damage at the cemetery to contact the Police on 101 or to call CST on 0161 792 6666.
The second piece of uplifting news was the response to a call for a 'Community Clean-up' at the cemetery on Sunday. Over 100 people from different backgrounds and walks of life turned up at Blackley Cemetery to help begin the work of repairing the damage and to show moral support to the local Jewish community. This was far in excess of the number expected by the organisers, the Manchester Jewish Cemetery Trust. Faith leaders in Manchester also issued a statement condemning the desecration.
Hate crimes do not only affect the people directly targeted; they can spread fear and anxiety throughout entire communities. For this reason, the support shown to the Manchester Jewish community by Police, politicians, faith leaders and ordinary people is welcome and appreciated.
Greater Manchester Says No to Hate is a new campaign from Greater Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner Tony Lloyd, GMP Chief Constable Sir Peter Fahy and the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities (AGMA). You can sign up to the campaign's statement here and support it on Twitter with the hashtag #GMSaysNoToHate.
2 Jul 2014 by CST
30 Jun 2014 by CST